Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cars vs. stuff that really matters

This past September my son turned 16 and experienced the rite of passage of acquiring his driver's license. In general, he is a pretty conscientious driver but over the past 6 months (including last week) he has been involved in 2 car accidents. Fortunately, neither he nor anyone else has been injured, but that doesn't mean it hasn't scared his mom & dad!

In fact, it has been a rough week for our family - my wife was sitting in her car at Sonic this week and a driver backed into her door. How would you like to be my insurance agent? No really, I may need a new one! I'll admit that I don't enjoy the expense and inconvenience of car repairs, but these incidents have reminded me again of what is really important - those we care about and those who care about us.

This is why the stats on distracted driving concern me - whether the drivers are teens or adults. In many cases the end results resemble the tragic consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. Be sure to talk to those you care about and warn them of the dangers of distracted driving. The following videos address the issue from a teen perspective. (WARNING: The first video is pretty graphic.)




No comments:

Post a Comment