Thursday, June 3, 2010

Grace & Class

So, have you heard the Armando Galarraga story from Wednesday night? Galarraga is a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers and was closing in on a perfect game (no hits/no runners) when an umpire blew a call on what should have been the final out of the game on a close play at first base.

It was an excruciating experience for Armando, the Detroit players, coaches, and fans, but what was remarkable was Armando's response to the situation. He grinned in disbelief (instead of cursing and questioning the umpire's heritage) and after the game told reporters that it was OK - everyone makes mistakes. He handled a disappointing circumstance with uncommon grace and class.

Couldn't help but think of the ultimate example of unmerited forgiveness that Jesus freely offers and that so often is not modeled by those of us who claim to be His followers. Ever been to a church league basketball or softball game when an official or umpire makes a mistake? Yikes! It can be pretty awful.

Armando, thanks so much for such a compelling example of forgiveness and for keeping the bigger picture in mind. Hope I will do the same and provide a similar example the next time disappointment catches me by surprise.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I tried to comment before, but am (self-admittedly) inept at all things computer. None-the-less I will attempt again. I could not agree more that Galarraga handled this with great dignity and grace, but I also believe the Ump did as well (well except initially when he TOTALLY blew the call... but we won't go there...). After observing 30 years of refs, umps, etc. my paradigm is that they are very stubborn, somewhat egotistical and certainly prideful when it come to their calls. For him to come back in the national spotlight and publically admit and apologize for his error is refreshing. I'm sorry for Galarraga's loss. I obviously don't know him but, in light of what I've seen in the media, he is a man of good character and will "move on" from this. I'm not sure but what the ump will have a more difficult time of that. Who knows.
    I do have to struggle with identifying "grace" with one other than Jesus, based on something I heard/learned from you one Wednesday night at "Prime Time:)".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. The ump also responded in an uncommon way. Not only did he apologize the night of the game, did you happen to see him on Thursday afternoon when he was behind the plate and Galarraga delivered the lineup card? Fought back the tears. Hope he is able to move on and doesn't allow this event to impact him negatively in the future. Reminds me that grace really is amazing.

    ReplyDelete